|Display a Printer Friendly Version|
The Tarrasque is Awaking (1/6) The Kane of the Elements
Author: Eric Wijnen
System: AD&D 2nd Edition
Requirements: 4 - 8 Players Level 2 - 4
The Tarrasque is Awaking. Something needs to be done / found before this happens. 5 Items need to be found en brought together. It is up to your party to do so, before the Tarrasque awakens.
Graphic: Kane of the Elements 1th Level
Graphic: Kane of the Elements 2th Level
Graphic: Kane of the Elements 3th Level
Graphic: Kane of the Elements 4th Level
Graphic: Kane of the Elements Underneath The Fortress
The Story begins …
The talanted Mage Talanthyr has found out that once every 1000 years the Tarrasque awakens. Using ancient scrolls he has determined that the awakening should be taking place within a few months time. Desperately he began to search for weapons which would be able to utterly destroy a Tarrasque After searching for anything in library's in the land he has come up with the answer: the Kane of the Elements. The Kane, if brought together with the Pearls of Fire, Water, Earth and Air, should be powerfull enough to utterly destroy the Tarrasque. With his scrying device he began a frantic search for the Kane and the Pearls he needed. After weeks of scrying he finaly found the items he searched for. Because he couldn't bring his own life in danger, and because he needs to search for the Tarrasque, he began a desperate search for adventerers who would be willing to get the items for him. One of the party's he is sending out is your party. There are only a few weeks left before the Tarrasque stirs.
To get the party to get the items for him he is prerared to go far, but he must also have a sense that the party can be trusted to deliver the item to him. Because he is a 20th level mage, he might have some usefull spells for the party. He is willing to pay 2000 gold pieces to retrieve the item.
The Way to Morgrimm's Fortress
Talanthyr can get the PC's to the forest where the fortress resides. He does this by means of the 7th level Spell: Parrallel Door. This spell creates a door within one day ride from the location the wizard thinks of while using this spell. This should get them within the forest they need to be.
He also gives them a scroll with the same spell so they can get to his house again if they have the item he needs.
The fortress stands on a patch of grass before the forest and atop a rock cliff over the sea. At the seaside there is a hard to enter cave, which might give the characters an alternative way in, because the well in the courtyard leads to the cave. The well is placed reasonably close to the door leading down, giving the players a chance to sneak in (or at least try to). The tower can only be entered through the (2) secret doors underneath the fortress. The tower has no windows.
In the courtyard there are two stairs leading to the roofs of the hereafter mentioned places. On the roofs there are stairs leading to the walkways. At this level there is NO entrance to the Tower.
1. The Front Gate. At the Front gate are two Skeletons. HP: 8, 6
2. In the Guardhouse is nobody present.
3. In the stables are some skeleton horses (xp 650 / Piece) who will begin to whine as soon as a PC enters the stable.
4. In the Tack room is nobody present.
5. In the Library the PC's can find the next items: Manual of Stone Golems, which sits on a reading desk, but which is burnt. On the cover they can still read the inscription. If they search the library, they might be able to find a scroll, protection from possesion and a scroll, transmute metal to wood.
6. In the Waist Disposel they have lured a Gelatinous Cube in a hole in the ground. HP: 20. In the Gelatinous Cube are present: Helm of Teleportation, Sword +2, Gold Dragon Slayer.
7. In the barraks is nobody present.
8. In the officers baracks ther are two Q.R.B.N.E.T. HP: 23, 12. They can be aroused by any noise outside! They have with them the following items: Cloak of protection +1, Robe of usefull things: Rope 50 feet, Pole 10 feet, Iron door, 10x Amber Gem, Mule, Ladder 24 feet, Scroll: Tensers Floting Disk (20th lvl), 2x war dog, Pit (10 cubic feet, open), Rowboat, Scroll: Shadow Door, Window (2x4x2), Scroll: Slow, Silver Coffer (1/2'x1/2'x1') The Command words "BIG COFFER" summons a Coffer of 2x4x2 feet which looks the same as the small coffer and which can hold 500 pounds worth of items. The command words "SMALL COFFER" summons the small coffer back.
9. In this room is the stair leading to the cell blocks and the two secret doors leading to the tower. In those cells can be new PC's, NPC's or nothing.
10. In the courtyard are two skeletons. HP: 4, 2
11. On the roof above the stable are 2 skeletons: HP: 6, 1
12. On the roof above the Baracks are 2 skeletons. HP: 4, 3
13. On the Northern Walkway are 2 skeletons. HP: 7, 2
14. On the Western Walkway are 2 skeletons. HP: 7, 5
15. On the South Walkway are 2 skeletons. HP: 4, 2
16. The Well which leads to the cave underneath the forstress.
Underneath the Fortress
The cell blocks lies directly underneath the barracks.
1. In this room there is a Wight, protecting the door to the cell blocks. Stashed away in this room are 5.793 Copper pieces and 791 Gold pieces
2. This door can easily be opened.
3. This door can easily be opened.
4. This door is the first secret door. The dust on the floor can give this door away, because it opens to the hall.
5. This is the second secret door. The PC's will have to find this door.
6. Behind the second secret door there are two Ghasts, which will surprise the party if they do not pay attention. HP 17, 17. The Ghasts have with them: Fire Opal gem, Jade Gem, Camelian Gem, Opal Gem, Blue Quartz Gem, potion of (Green) Dragon Control, potion of Clearaudience, potion of (Stone) Giant Control, Oil of Disenchantment, potion of Treasure finding, potion of Healing, Potion of Speed.
7. At the end of the passage there is the stair leading up to the Library.
This is Morgrimm's Study. Here the PC's will find Morgrimm at his study's.
This is the Chess-room. On the floor lies a 8x8 Stone Tile patern, black and white. Anyone standing on one of the first tiles changes to the corresponding chess-piece. At the other side a Black Piece will take it's place. The PC's will have to find a way to the other side! To move a piece on the chessboard use the standard chess rules.
The way up is barred by a magicaly held door. On the wall is the next riddle:
"Teacher, open thy book" (XP: 1000)
The answer: a butterfly, wil open the door to the 4th level.
This is Morgrimm's Treasure Room. Here he keeps his treasure, The Kane of the Elements, and a surprise for the party: A Stone Golem. If he has fled for the Party he will be weakened. (Do not forget the potion of Extra healing on this floor!)
After the party has defeated the Golem and Morgrimm they will find:
2x potion of Fire Breathing (Labeled), potion of extra healing, Philter of Persuasivness, Philter of Stuttering and Stammering, Philter of Love, Cloak of Protection +1, Spear +2, 37 Gold Pieces, 77 Platimun Pieces, Star Rose Quartz Gem, Deep Blue Spinel Gem, Peridot Gem, Camelian Gem, Azurite Gem, Sardonyx Gem, Jasper Gem, Smokey Quartz Gem, Amber Gem, Obsidian Gem, Sapphire, White pearl, Lapis Lazuli Gem, Crysoberyl Gem, Rhodochrosite Gem.
The Next Adventure
When the PC's arrive in Talanthyrs house he takes the Kane from them. After a short rest he will send them to find him the Pearl of Air.
XP award: 6000
Skeleteons: AC 7, MV 12, THAC0 19, DAM 1-6, XP 65. All Skeletons have bow and arrows next to a normal sword.
Gelatinous Cube: AC 8, DAM 2-8, Paralysis.
Q.R.B.N.E.T.: The QRBNET looks like a humanoid, with a Cloak. The hood of the Cloak is always up. Anyone looking inside the robe will only see it's 2 horrifying eyes.
AC 0, MV 6, THAC0 17, DAM 1-4 / 1-4 / 2-8 / 2-8, Spec Att: Suffocating Eyes (DAM 1-6 / Round, Stunned, AC=Base AC, Save VS Breath NEG.), Spec Defence: Circle of Paralysis 10 feet (1d4+2 Rounds) The QRBNET Attacks with a knife in his left hand and a short sword in his right. His high dexterity (24) gives it the right to attack twice each round. XP 1400
Wight: AC 5, THAC0 15, MV 12, DAM 1-4 + lvl Drain, +1 or Silver to hit, XP 1400
GHAST: AC 4, MV 15, THAC0 17, DAM: 1-4 / 1-4 / 2-8, Breath Weapon: (1/3 Rounds) Nausea. (-4 attack, -4 Init, -2 dam)
Stone Golem: AC 5, MV 6, HP 54, THAC0 7, DAM 3-24, L 9,5 feet tall, XP 8000
Morgrimm (Cleric): STR 9, DEX 9, CON 12, INT 3, WIS 9, CHA 11, Level 10, HP 54, THAC0 14, BASE AC 10
Save: Death 6, Rod 10, Petr. 9, Breath 12, Spell 11
Footman's Mace THAC0 14, DAM 1D6+1
Sling THAC0 14, DAM 1D4+1
Mace +1 THAC0 13, DAM 1D6+2
Splint Mail +3, Shield +2 (Haste power), Effective AC -2
Ring of Mind Shielding, Potion of Gaseous Form, Scarab of Enraging Enemy's
Spells: Lvl 1: Command, Detect Magic, Entangle, Pass Without Trace
Lvl 2: Aid, Flame Blade, Silence 15'rad
Lvl 3: Cure Disease, Dispel Magic, Pyrotechnics
Lvl 4: Detect Lie, Neutralize Poison
Lvl 5: Animal Growth, Spike Stones
If the Fight in the Study does not go well for Morgrimm he will use his Scarab and the next round the Potion of Gaseous form, to flee to the 4th level. There he will use the potion of extra healing.
Kane of the Elements
The Kane is made of Elvenwood. In the knob of the Kane are four holes. Each of these can contain a Pearl of the Elements.
The Kane of the Elements can only be used twice. It Spews forth a ray of Elements which does 6D6 Damage (no save) The Kane will get stronger when the Pearls of the Elements are in the knob of the Kane.
Eric "Blue Wizard" Wijnen